Friday, 3 December 2010

Two members of the Nine Trey Headbustas Bloods street gang have pleaded guilty to racketeering

Two members of the Nine Trey Headbustas Bloods street gang have pleaded guilty to racketeering for their roles in the 2008 murder of the gang’s New Brunswick leader, authorities said today.

Syree Hakins, 38, of West Orange, and Tyrane Mathis, 34, of Newark, pleaded guilty Wednesday before Superior Court Judge Joseph Paone in Middlesex County, state Attorney General Paula Dow said.

A third defendant, Davon Parker, 22, of Edison, pleaded guilty to racketeering last month, authorities said. As part of his plea, Parker agreed to testify against Hakins and Mathis.

Share 11 Comments Hakins admitted he ordered the murder of gang member Devin Thompson, 19, near New Brunswick’s Recreation Park on June 2, 2008, authorities said.

Mathis admitted he participated in the murder, authorities said. Parker testified that the gang believed Thompson wasn’t running its New Brunswick operation correctly, authorities said.

The state will recommend Hakins be sentenced to 16 years in state prison and Mathis be sentenced to 12 years in state prison, authorities said.

Each must serve 85 percent of their sentence without the possibility of parole, authorities said. Sentencing for the three men is scheduled for Feb. 11.

Hakins, Mathis and Parker were among 21 alleged gang members named in an indictment last month that charged the alleged leader of the Nine Trey Headbustas, Michael Anderson, 38, with the first-degree crime of racketeering. Anderson was leading the gang from New Jersey State Prison in Trenton, authorities said.

First-degree racketeering carries a maximum penalty of 20 years. Authorities said Thompson and a friend, Christopher Whitsett, were shot at about 10:18 p.m. on Nichol Avenue at Sandford Street, a few blocks south of the Douglass College campus of Rutgers University, authorities said.

Thompson was rushed to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in the city, where he was pronounced dead at 11:08 p.m.

Whitsett, who was shot in the back, survived. The next morning, investigators told Thompson’s friends and relatives it appeared the shooters had set Thompson up, authorities said.

DISCLAIMER:Text may be subject to copyright.This blog does not claim copyright to any such text. Copyright remains with the original copyright holder.


Related Posts with Thumbnails