Translate

Sunday 10 May 2009

Ian "Blink" McDonald is a former friend of gangster Paul Ferris and worked for the late Glasgow godfather Arthur Thompson Snr.

Ian "Blink" McDonald, 47, said the men who put the homemade bomb beneath his luxury car put children at risk. Police and army bomb disposal experts evacuated the block of flats where he lives and closed the street. McDonald said: "I've a very good idea who's behind this. "There are people who'd like to see me dead but I don't understand why they put the lives of others at risk to hurt me. "Children play outside my flat all the time. Women walk by with their babies in buggies."The police told me they think the device would've taken half my building away."The guys who planted this bomb obviously know where I live so why didn't they come to my door or wait on me leaving the flat? They don't have the guts."They'd rather sneak about in the middle of the night and act like daft wee boys playing with big toys.
"I could've jumped in that car and blown myself into a million pieces but I could've taken two or three others with me." A gas canister wired to a battery was discovered under McDonald's Mercedes Kompressor after two hooded men - thought to be linked to a gangland feud - had been spotted at his car in the early hours of the morning.
A neighbour saw a silver estate car drive into the cul-de-sac near Hogganfield Loch in Riddrie, Glasgow, at around 5am on Friday.She called police because she thought they were trying to steal McDonald's car, which has the registration B1LNK.
Officers arrived but left without noticing anything suspicious.McDonald only became aware of the bomb when a neighbour battered on his door at 8.30am.
McDonald is a former friend of gangster Paul Ferris and worked for the late Glasgow godfatherArthur Thompson Snr. He was caged for 16 years in 1992 for a bungled s36million bank robbery in Torquay.His friends include Paisley gangster Grant Mackintosh and the McGovern crime clan.McDonald said: "If planting a bomb under my car is the worst I've got to worry about then I don't have a problem."On Friday night I went out for a drink with pals then ate a pizza. I'll do the same tonight - that's how scared I am." Detectives yesterday sealed off the cul-de-sac for a second time and carried out a fingertip search.Strathclyde Police said: "The device has been taken away for examination. This incident is being treated seriously."

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails